Genealogy Request Policy
We are happy to assist you in your genealogy research. The Cheboygan Area Public Library holds microfilm copies of local newspapers dating back to 1883, census records, marriage and death records for the early part of the twentieth century, and listings for cemeteries in Cheboygan County. Keep in mind that time and staff constraints prevent us from assisting in detailed or large projects.
In order to reduce cost to the taxpayers of the district, requests from individuals who do not have local borrowing privileges have a fee of $5.00.
Please allow at least 2 weeks for us to respond to your request. During certain times of the year, our response may take twice as long.
Please follow the guidelines listed below when submitting a request:
- Requests may be submitted via postal mail or by e-mail (although the fee will need to be received via postal mail before the request will be processed). Please mark them to the attention of Genealogy. In order to assure the accuracy of information, requests must be made in writing. No phone requests please.
- You may request up to 5 items at one time.
- You must provide a specific date for each item requested. For the most part, our newspapers and census records are not indexed and we do not have the resources to search through a broad range of dates for an item.
- Include your name, mailing address, e-mail address, and phone number.
- Payment is required before a request can be filled. Please do not send cash.
Keep in mind that time and staff constraints prevent us from assisting in detailed or large projects. If you need more assistance, you may wish to contact the Cheboygan County Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 51, Cheboygan, MI 49721.
We have several microfilm and print resources for those patrons who wish to do their own research. A microform reader/printer and photocopier are available and prints cost 15¢ per page. If you would like to view microfilm that we do not currently own, we generally can borrow from other libraries for patrons with our borrowing privileges. Please complete an Interlibrary Loan form in our library, or contact the library in your area.
1Board approved Oct. 13, 2005